Miami has been producing iconic movies since before Scarface – and isn’t slowing down. Here’s a look at some of the best:
1. The Godfather II (1974). One the most epic and classic gangster movie series of all time did it again by choosing North Miami to shoot at Hialeah Race Track, as well closer to the coast on Hibiscus Drive, across from Surfside.
2. Caddy Shack (1980). Caddy Shack remains a golf comedy legend, starring Rodney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, and Bill Murray. The height of the drama and comedy was filmed at a yacht club and the Rusty Pelican Restaurant in Biscayne Bay.
3. Scarface (1983). No one can forget Scarface, as Al Pacino stars in one of the most classic gangster movies. Al Pacino comes to Miami Beach after being exiled by Fidel Castro. Drama unfolds across Miami including the Fontainebleau, Miami Beach, and around South Beach such as Ocean Drive.
4. There’s Something About Mary (1998). Ben Stiller is chasing down his high school crush – Mary, played by Cameron Diaz. This hilarious escapade takes them through the Cardozo Hotel on South Beach (1300 Ocean Drive), Brickell Park, and the Big Pink restaurant.
5. Miami Vice (2006). Miami Vice went from television to its screen adaptation. Was there really any where else for it to be filmed? Starring Colin Farrel and Jamie Foxx venture around Miami wrapped up in a case with murder and South Florida Drug Lords. It includes boat chases through Dodge and Fisher Island, docking at the Miami Beach Marina on Alton Road. And what would a Miami Vice movie be without a club scene – this time at the Mansion Nightclub at 1235 Washington Ave. in Miami Beach.
6. Marley & Me (2008). Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston brought tears to our eyes with family, adorable dogs, and walks on Miami beaches. They got to a Latin American Café at the Bayside Marketplace in downtown Miami. They have a family day with their dog Marley at the Dolphin Stadium in Miami Gardens. Several other moments highlight Miami in its full beauty, such as Crandon Beach Park.
7. Pain and Gain (2013). Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson team up to wreak havoc around Miami. It starts on Biscayne Boulevard outside of mural of a topless Latina by local artist Krave. They roll up to the Fontainbleau, the historic hotel on Collins in Millionaire Row.